Friday, July 31, 2009
Wednesday, July 29, 2009
Tuesday, July 28, 2009
- Full dormers on both sides, opening up the interior, letting in lots of light, but losing some heat containment due to the extra windows.
- Dormers ONLY over the back third, but on both sides. This opens up the loft for optimum sit-ability and light, but still runs the risk of being a bit chilly in the winter. We could just make sure to use some VERY insulated windows in the loft dormers.
- We could do a full dormer on ONE side, south side only. This will simulate the solar house design, allowing more light in the entirety of the interior, leaving the loft atleast partially sit-able, BUT it also has the potential to lose a lot of extra heat.
- We could do a partial dormer on ONE side only, and only over the loft. This would be the most heat containing option, but would only open up the loft part way and will result in significantly less lighting in the entire interior.
Monday, July 27, 2009
Saturday, July 25, 2009
I sent over the Sonoma Shanty plans, which I purchased last night. I was a little disappointed to find out after the fact that the plans are only for the 8x16 model, and not the 8x20. However, I went ahead and sent them to my uncle anyway to see if he can work with them despite the discrepancy.
I am also inquiring about whether or not we can add dormer windows throughout the roof to give it a lot more head space in the loft and a more open and lighter feel in the main living space.
I have been looking around for a new trailer, because my uncle seems to think it is important to start with a new trailer that we can trust. I think it MIGHT be possible for us to just get a used one that is in good condition, but I have to admit I do not know how to recognize a quality buy.
If anyone out there in tiny-land has any suggestions regarding buying used versus new for the trailer, I am all ears.
Friday, July 24, 2009
Thursday, July 23, 2009
James has talked with his uncle about building us something to match the Martin House, or something very similar. His uncle is in the process of finding out if he can purchase the materials for the amount we'd like to spend, so we're waiting to hear back from him. Once we hear back—yay or nay—then we can move forward with deciding which direction we're planning on going.
If he cannot build one for the amount we have to spend, then we're considering the Sonoma Shanty. This will give us a bunch of options.
• We could get the whole house built for somewhere around $25,000 (I believe, I can't recall the exact price)—that would take about 4 weeks for them to build.
• We could get the house, with the floor, walls and roof mounted on the trailer for $9000—that would take only a week for them to build. Then we'd have to finish building ourselves... while we live in it.
• We could get the kit, and see if James' uncle could build it up to a livable point before August 31st. Then we could finish it while we live in it.
I'm pretty sure all the Sonoma Shanty options mean James and I will be flying to California, renting a 1-ton truck and towing it back across the country. Building one here would save us that hastle, that's for sure.
Monday, July 20, 2009
What a relief!
Sunday, July 19, 2009
We didn't sell as much as I had hoped though. I feel like there isn't much of a dent in the amount of stuff we still have to get rid of. Which just means, we'll have to get more creative with how we're selling stuff. We'll probably have more yard sales, but craigslist will hopefully be a good avenue for getting rid of things.
Thursday, July 16, 2009
Just knowing that there are 3 different possible paths for James and I to succeed at obtaining a little house really helps me feel like it's all going to work out okay.
These past few weeks, for both of us, have been pretty stressful—between trying to figure out what to do about a little house on wheels, and for me, dealing with an overdue deadline at work.
Yesterday seemed to be a great day for both of these things.
•At work, the team I'm working with and I finally got our booklets to the printer. It's been months of hard work to get to that point, and I'm SO relieved to finally be done with it.
• James' uncle got in touch with him, and they chatted about the possibility of building a small house from scratch.
• And as James said in the previous post, we told our landlord we'd be leaving.
All those things put together really lifted a big weight off our shoulders.
To boot, I talked briefly this morning with my creative director (Pam), and she was very encouraging. She really supports my decision to want to do this, and she wants to keep me as part of the design team as much as I possibly can—which was my intention also... so that works out well.
It was nice to get some feedback from someone since I first spoke with my boss (Betsy) last week. It turns out that Betsy and Pam talked about this when they were together, and they both very much want to keep me part of the company, however possible.
Oh, and also, our Lending Club loan is slowly continuing to grow. If you would, in any way like to help James and I on our adventure into financial independence, please consider investing in our lending club loan! It would greatly GREATLY be appreciated!
I have been stressing out about making sure we line up SOMETHING before giving our notice on the lease.... but no more.
We have given our notice, and are now stepping out on the limb.
Faith is necessary now.
But it feels... nice. Now. I feel like the pressure is off, in a way. Kind of ironic, because now we HAVE to figure out SOMETHING... but the pressure is off, because I had built up July 15th to be this end-all-be-all dead line for figuring out a plan.
However, I really like that we are stepping out into faith in the idea that we will figure out a solution.
Tuesday, July 14, 2009
Friday, July 10, 2009
Thursday, July 9, 2009
Easy Domes seem like an economically friendly solution that I can put up myself. I'm not sure hjow much they run, but I am assuming they're not TOO pricey. I will have to fill out their quote form at some point and find how much we're really talking.
But none the less, it can be assembled by us dumb folk without hammerin' knowledge. If it's technically a legal structure in the U.S., it seems like the best choice for building our own eventually. Obviously it cannot happen before the end of August, but when we want to build something it might be the best solution.
Wednesday, July 8, 2009
Tuesday, July 7, 2009
Wednesday, July 1, 2009
So far, I've tried some banks local to us, from which I've learned that they only provide loans for travel trailers that are purchased locally. One told me that this type of little house is considered a mobile/modular home rather than a travel trailer... I've been getting mixed reviews about that. According to the woman we hope to purchase it from, she suggested we look for travel trailer loans.
It's frustrating, but I am determined to get SOME kind of loan, so we may purchase this thing and get on with our lives.
My next step is going to be to look into banks closer to where we will be purchasing the little house FROM, in hopes that it will solve the *local* issue. The little-house company used to offer financing, but no longer does. James has contacted them to find out what bank they used to use to finance. I'm hoping that leads to something promising.
I didn't always have the energy necessary to pursue this. Over the last couple years, I've dramatically changed my diet to a high-fruit-intake arrangement.